Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Running Heartbreak

Running Heartbreak 

I have always had a love hate relationship with running... Since the days of playing soccer in high school to distance running these past couple years.  From the constant blisters, losing toe nails, waking up before the birds, running in rain, snow, and ice, But... even with all of these woos I keep coming back. Drawn to it like my own personal addiction.... There is no better feeling then waking up and seeing the sunrise, the sunset. Discovering new scenic routes, achieving that  new PR, bonding with good friends over that long run, enjoying a nice cold beer as a reward, crossing that finish line and feeling that you have just accomplished the greatest achievement in your life, that all of that hard work leading up to this point was worth it... These feelings and experiences cannot be described or replicated... This is why I love running! 

I am now at a heartbreak point with running... I moved to Austin, TX in the dead of summer. Not knowing what Texas heat was really like I still thought my running ability would stay the same. I thought getting up early in the morning would help, that even with slight hills I could still accomplish the goals I had set before me. Running quickly gave me a swift kick in the butt. Even in the early hours it is in the 80's, add humidity and hills and new found allergies, I was done for. I couldn't run more then 2 miles without hyperventilating. Trying everything from changing my route, to different times of the day, to new shoes, to eating local honey to combat the allergies, nothing has seemed to help. So with much anguish, tears of frustration, and heartbreak I have come to realize I can't run the Philly Marathon in November!! This has been one of the hardest decisions I have had to make in awhile and it does not come without disappointment. 

I wish my girls nothing but the best of luck next month and I will be cheering for you on the sidelines as I know how much work you have put into this... 

This is not goodbye to running, this is an uphill battle that that will require one foot in front of the other and I will cross that finish line no matter how long it takes me....     

No comments:

Post a Comment