Monday, September 1, 2014

The "Just" Runner...

You know what really chaps my ass? 
Well, besides my running shorts, 
but I'll save that discussion for another day. 

I've noticed lately when I talk to people about running
they often use the word "just" about the races they've done. 
I've found myself saying it too
in a crowd of runners.  

"Oh, you're running a marathon? 
That's awesome...
I've done races, but just a half."
Just a 5k.
Just 20 minutes. 
Just. Just. Just. 



I run races to challenge myself. 
I run races because I love the camaraderie that inevitably
comes with doing something fun yet difficult with 30,000 other people.
I run races because I love the surge of energy I get 
from a high five at mile 8 making the next mile easier. 


(Ally, Cel and I after the Carmel half this past spring)


There will always be someone running 
farther and faster than you,  
so why do we constantly take our accomplishments 
and make them seem lesser than they are?

Regardless if you're training for your first 5K
or your 50th marathon,
let's stop being "just" runners and 
be proud of every accomplishment. 
~KB

No comments:

Post a Comment