Monday, July 28, 2014

To wear your official race day shirt on race day?!?

FASHION FAUX PAS?


Being only a few years into racing I have often pondered this question! Also, with a background in fashion merchandising, I would never want to do anything faux pas, or so I tell myself :) This is a much different dilemma then the "what am I going to wear tonight" weekend ritual. 

You have to think about comfort ( who likes chafing?), mobility (nothing like needing to pull down your shorts every two minutes) and weather related attire. 
I am often confused on exactly who decided's on what material the shirts are going to be made of, or if they are going to be long or short sleeve!? I have raced in April with the official shirt short sleeves to then race in May, where the official shirt is long sleeve?!? Riddle me that Joker? Don't get me wrong, I love having the variety, I mean we do live in the midwest where it can be 70 degrees in July ( ahem, like today). 

So this brings me to my opinion, granted I am sure many will disagree, but I say NO race shirt on race day. For a couple reasons, namely:

-We all know what race you are running, we are running the same one right next to you. I enjoy the shirts so I can show it off later to people who weren't there "Hey look at what I did last weekend while you were still asleep! That's right I ran 13.1 or better yet a marathon!" 

-Also, with all these different races and different companies that make the shirts you never know how the fabric is going to feel when running for two hours or four. You are already putting your body through enough torture, it doesn't need the added scabs or chaffing that will most likely occur! 

-And lastly, being the social person that I am, this gives people the opportunity to share in other events you may at a later date want to do. That triathlon you have been thinking about but have yet to pull the trigger? Well what do you know, Jane who finished the race the same time as you is wearing her Minnesota Tri shirt and you want to know how it went, how did she train, and was it worth it? Jane you just inspired me to go sign up!!! Thank you for not wearing your race shirt :)

-CA





No comments:

Post a Comment