Wednesday, August 6, 2014

New Kicks


New running shoes signify lots of things. For some, it’s the start of a new workout plan or a recommitment to finally get in shape, once at for all. The shoes are something fancy and new to provide a little extra jolt of motivation.


But for a marathon runner, new shoes means the point of no return. With just about two months to go, mileage is steadily climbing week-to-week. The first 20-mile training run is just around the corner. For these seriously steep mileage weeks, I need to be ready with fresh (but not too fresh, because no new blisters are needed, thank you very much) kicks. Ever cognizant of the very real possibility of injury, I always replace my running shoes at this point in marathon training -- right before the “real” training begins.




This morning, right before I take one last swig of water and head out the door for my mid-week run, I’ll slip into my spotless new running shoes. They’ll feel light and bouncy, and I’ll have a little extra kick in my step.


But I’ll break them in fast. They’ll get dirty seemingly overnight.


These shoes will carry me across many, many miles over the next two months, then over the finish line at the Chicago Marathon on October 12.


For me, these new running shoes represent two months of high highs and low lows. I know I have many amazing runs ahead of me during which I couldn’t be happier doing what I’m doing because I love running and how alive it makes me feel.


I also know I have many awful runs ahead of me during which I will question why the heck I decided to do this stupid thing (yet again, this is marathon #5 for me), because actually, now that I think of it, I hate running and it’s boring and I just want to eat pizza.


Regardless of how today’s run, tomorrow’s run, or any of the others over the next couple of months make me feel, I will do them. Because that’s what marathon training is all about: Having the discipline to put in the work day after day because you know every mile is mental and physical preparation those 26.2 miles on race day.

New running shoes, you have no idea what’s in store for you. But I promise you -- despite the love/hate relationship we may develop with each other over the next 67 days -- in the end, it’s gonna be great. After that, I probably won’t see you for months, so let’s try our best to enjoy this time together.

— Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment