Tuesday, August 19, 2014

To Prove that I Can


In celebration of getting back to training this week, here is a post I wrote towards the end of July, just a couple weeks before my surgery. It's also my first post (ever). My name is Ashley, although most people call me Creigh. And now that I am recently married it has turned into an awkward mix of CreighSchwab (my old and new last names combined). Honestly, I am not a runner. I am a horseback rider, that was forced to grow up and get a job, that fell into running :) And I am meeting some pretty amazing people along the way! So here we go:



I still remember the first time that the thought of becoming a runner ever crossed my mind. I was standing in Lance's (my boyfriend at the time, now husband's) house looking out the window witnessing my first race. As I looked at the porta potties lined up along the street, I couldn't help but wonder; how far could they possibly be running that they would need to stop to go to the bathroom? After asking Lance several questions I realized that I was watching the Monumental Marathon. Upon further investigation of figuring out that a marathon was actually 26.2 miles, I realized yep they need bathrooms! It was something that day about knowing that those people were running for 26.2 miles that made me think I can run 1. Yes, you read that right. I laced up my shoes and that day began my running journey. I completed 1 mile.

As I trained today for my second marathon, I couldn't help but remember where this all started. It was overwhelming going up and down the hills on Lake Norris, Tennessee with Lance, who helped me learn to run when I couldn't run more than just a few miles. My mileage has increased, my gear has certainly improved, and I am now married to that same guy. However, through all the changes one thing has remained exactly the same. The reason I run. 

Lance running at Lake Norris. He's fast...this is my typical viewpoint!


Also at Lake Norris...Caution Deer on Bike. (I'm easily amused!)


Yesterday, I jumped off a rock cliff into the lake with my husband and brother-in-law. 
This is why I run
Next week, I have one of the biggest client meetings of my work career to date. 
This is why I run.
In two weeks, I have surgery. 
This is why I run.

I run to prove to myself that I can

For me running is less about the physical activity and more about the fact that each time I go out I am proving to myself that I can do something that I once thought I couldn't. It's at mile 8, or 14, or 18 that a positive thought crosses my mind that keeps me going. It carries with me in all that I do, not just running. It's a chance to clear my mind, strengthen my faith, and to keep on going.

Prove that you can,

Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment